Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 177 (Sturmgeschütz-Brigade 177; Panzer-Jäger-Abteilung 69)
Was formed in the Summer of 1941 at Zinna near Jüterbog. It adopted the Giffin from the Pomeranian Coat of Arms at its Batalion Insignia. Activation was completed on August 9, 1941.
The battalion loaded up for transport to the east by Rail on 6 of September. Four days later it was unloaded at Smolensk. The 4ª Armee-Oberkommando allocated the Battalion which was a General Headquarters unit to the XII Armee-Korps. In turn, it was attached ti the 34, 98 and 267 infanterie-Divisionen and the 19 Panzer Division.
The battalion then moved through Borowsk to reach Kosselskaja, right in front of the gates of Moscow. After the entire Battalion was transferred to Mogilew in March 1942. At Mogilew, the Battalion turned in its short-barreled Sturmgeschütze for long-barrel ones; the Battalion received a complete refiting at the same time.
A Sturmgeschütz Ausf E of the Abteilung 177 during Barbarosse Operation. The Symbol on the front hull is a griffin (Greif). Note the Panzer Grenadiers riding on the engine compartment.
In March 1942 the Battalion was moved to Bjelgorod and, the last days of June, a major operational offensive was launched through the Russian Winter positions towards Worosnesh, the condition of the combat was under terrible winter with temperatures down 50º degrees below zero!. In July the Battalion was employed in the advance of the Don River, at the end of August, was moved out once more establishing a bridgehead across the Don north of Kalasch.
Fighting, it stormed all the way into the City of Stalingrad. However, the Battalion had been destroyed at Stalingrad; the surviving members of the Batteries had set up in a cellar on Red Square. They were made prisioners on January 31, 1943. There were still about 40 men left who started off the East.
A Sturmgeschütz Ausf E of the Abteilung 177 during Barbarosse Operation. The is the gun of a Battery Commander
The few surviving members of the Battalion who had been flown wounded out of stalingrad were assigned to Sturmgeschütz-Ersatz-Abteilung 300 at Neire (Upper Silesia), and then transferred to the newly formed Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 911 at Wildflecken.
This Battalion was then renamed as Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 177.
Right before Easter, it was dispatched to the bend in Orel and fought at Smyjewka, Krasmy-Gorka and Glebowsky. It was involved in fiere fighting at Nikolskoje, Bryansk and Kursk; as the defensive fighting in the Area west of bialystock at Ostrolenka, defensive combats in August into Hungria, end of March 1945 Austria.
Then they fled through the mountain ranges to Mauerkirchen; There were still some 70 men from Panzer-Jäger-Abteilung 69 and they were led by the Commander of the 2nd. battery in an exemplary manner until the reached the Prisioners of war camps. Final record of Russian Tanks destroyed: 750-800
Back to References page
Source: Sturmgeschütz Vor! Assault Guns to the Front!